Weighing your options regarding the outcome of your pregnancy can be an overwhelming process. Informing yourself about your options is the best way to empower yourself to make the right decision for you.
Here are three things that you need before you go through an abortion:
- Medical-grade Pregnancy Test
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing
Why take another pregnancy test?
Occasionally home pregnancy tests can return a false response. While false negatives are much more likely, false positives can happen too. Obtaining a medical-grade pregnancy test administered at a medical center to confirm your pregnancy is an excellent first step.
Do You Need an Ultrasound Before You Get an Abortion?
If you’re considering an abortion, an ultrasound can give you information about your pregnancy that you need to make a confident decision. An abortion can do the following:
- Confirm viability: Not all pregnancies end in a live birth. Between 10-20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. An ultrasound can tell you if the pregnancy is growing or if you might need treatment for a miscarriage.
- Date the pregnancy: Determining how long you have been pregnant will highlight the options available to you. For example, the abortion pill is only approved for use in pregnancies less than 10 weeks. Even if you think you know how far along you are, an ultrasound can tell you for sure.
- Locate the pregnancy: A pregnancy can only grow in the uterus, but sometimes pregnancies implant somewhere other than the uterus. This is called an ectopic pregnancy. It is a life-threatening condition for the mother and requires immediate treatment. The abortion pill is not an effective treatment for ectopic pregnancy. Find out where your pregnancy is located during an ultrasound.
Should You Be Tested for STDs Before Getting an Abortion?
Some sexually transmitted diseases (STDS) have no symptoms, so you can have an STD and not know it. Some STDs put you at risk for complications of abortion. Get tested before an abortion to receive the treatment you need to protect your health.
Need More Information?
You can complete all the necessary testing completed at Options Women’s Care Center at no charge to you. Contact us to take advantage of free testing today.